Friday, July 27, 2007

Final Thoughts…

Don’t be afraid. As usual, all the advice you really ever need can be found scrawled on the walls in a public restrooms. On my last day of riding I found this quote in a ferry terminal bathroom: “Freedom is my only gospel.” That line summed up my trip in five words.

The best of all freedoms, in my opinion, is freedom from fear. Don’t fear failure, don’t fear risk, don’t be afraid to get out and see the world. What I found on this adventure was that every person I met was friendly, helpful, and kind. It didn’t matter if I was in a dive bar in Connecticut, a lake house near Cleveland, a two-hundred person town in Illinois, a huge city like Minneapolis, an Indian reservation in Montana, or on the back roads of Washington. Total strangers offered me cold drinks, hot meals, bike repairs, or a place to stay for the night, for no other reason than that they liked helping people. On more than one occasion people drove by, stopped their cars, and got out to just to chat, offer snacks or directions, or share some local history.

However, what I did notice is that folks would often say “well we’re nice here in rural Montana, but people aren’t like this everywhere.” Well guess what, people are overwhelmingly nice all across this county, I know it, I just lived it, but don’t take my word for it, step out the door and find out for yourself.

4 comments:

T-Guy J said...

Congratulations...

Way to go, that was a hell of a trip you just pulled off. How did you like Washington Pass, been there and absolutely hated life on it about 10 years ago.

Welcome home and Betsy and I look forward to seeing you soon,

Jared

Unknown said...

Kudos Steve.

Glad to hear you're well. When are you off to GW?

Best,
Ashley K

Unknown said...

Hi Steve: I'm from Temple Shir Tikva - Your Mom told me of your adventure the other night after services. Well done! As a fellow cyclist, I'm green with envy! Would love to hear more about it some time! Congratulations and nice job with the blog! The beard looked good!

Best Regards,

Jonathan Zarkower

Patrick van den Elzen said...

Hi Steve,

Wow, what an trip! It's a big achievement.
Your mom send a Holiday-letter and recommended your site. She's a very proud mom.
Just went through your site. It's great!
It's really nice to see you after so many years...

Love Lea (hope you remember: 1992-1993)